For Christmas my mom bought me an electric pressure cooker; it’s orange! Woo!!! She knows me so well. After looking/stalking Pinterest for what would be hours (really 1-maybe), I found some interesting recipes to try. If you want to see what I pinned, look here: Pressure Cookin’ in Pinterest
I found a yummy looking recipe that called for stew meat, wine and carrots: SOLD! 🙂 I served it with mashed potatoes and flaky rolls from the local bakery. The kids loved it, and so did the hubby! It really makes plenty, so it’s great for a special meal, that won’t take forever to cook! Enjoy!
Here’s the original recipe that I adapted.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 5 to 6
- 2 pounds round steak or stew meat, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 cup of Merlot
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 8 oz of baby carrots, cut into thirds
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 3 Tbs. flour
- 1 lg. onion, chopped OR 1-2 tbs of minced onion, re-hydrated in water (drained)
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced OR 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or preferred oil
- Place 1 tsp of EVOO into pressure cooker, turn on to Saute.
- Add onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add round steak and brown meat for 5 minutes, depending on pressure cooker, you might have to do this in shifts.
- Stir in flour and blend thoroughly.
- Stir in wine, beef stock and seasonings. Close the lid and set the timer to 20. It should begin counting down when it gets to pressure.
- Cook for 20 minutes. Wait for pressure to come down naturally or you can use the quick release method.
- Add carrots and mushrooms. Close the lid and set the timer to 5. It should begin counting down when it gets to pressure.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Use the quick release method to bring down pressure (prevents over cooking veggies). Remove the lid.
- If the broth is very thin, then turn it to saute and boil for 5-10 minutes to reduce the liquid. You can also add some flour or corn starch to thicken.